The name of the organisation shall be Diversity in Medicine and Healthcare (DIMAH).
1. Terms of reference
The primary purpose of the organization is to lead and support the development and implementation of high quality curricula and materials to teach diversity to health care students.
The focus is on medical undergraduates but is not restricted to this group.
DIMAH will do this by meeting the remit which currently stands as:
- Clearly defining diversity and what diversity education is and also what it is not
- Curriculum Design – Identifying aims and learning outcomes for diversity education, and how these will be delivered and assessed.
- Developing resources for students and teachers which would include an outline “curriculum” (including a guide for aims and learning outcomes)
The function of the committee is to ensure that these remits are met and delivered within agreed timeframes and to subsequently support and encourage the wider delivery of Diversity in Medical and Healthcare Education.
2. Committee members and their roles
The Officers of the club shall be: a Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Secretary, and Treasurer.
Other members of the committee will include another three Officers.
Elections will take place at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) to be held in (insert month) each year.
A term of office is three years.
A management committee of not less than six members shall conduct the affairs of the organisation.
All members at an AGM will be eligible to vote for any new committee members and we will also accept votes submitted by email.
All members are eligible for re-election.
If vacancies arise on the committee they are to be filled as soon as possible, and the members so appointed shall hold office until the next Annual General Meeting.
A quorum for the committee shall be five committee members.
The formal structure has been adopted form 8th July 2014 and the committee structure will be reviewed after one year and also a process developed so that all committee members do not changeover at the same time to ensure there is continuity of the organisation’s function.
2.3. Role of Chairperson:
- Sets the annual agenda for the group and monitors its effectiveness.
- Presides, plans and runs meetings in an orderly fashion, being sure everything is covered and decisions are made when required. Keeps order; help the group deal with differences of opinion and conflicts, being sure that everyone who wants to has a chance to speak.
- Ensures the committee and the group as a whole makes and sticks to priorities and policies. Serves as a spokesperson for the group.
- Chairs meetings or delegates Chair in their absence.
- Liaises closely with the Secretary about dates, arrangements, agendas, correspondence for committee meetings, and content of minutes.
- Liaises with the Treasurer about the financial state of the group.
- Plans the agenda of each meeting, and agrees which decisions need to be made at the meeting.
- Liaises with the Secretary to ensure that all information, documents, and papers are at hand for the meeting.
2.4. Role of Vice Chairperson:
Performs Chair responsibilities when the Chairperson is unavailable.
Supports Chairperson on group issues.
2.5. Role of Secretary:
- Ensures that accurate minutes of meetings are taken and approved and are circulated to group members within 2 weeks of each meeting. Keeps a copy for the group’s records.
- Sends out correspondence as requested by the Chairperson maintaining a copy for the Chairperson to view. Brings response to correspondence to the attention of the Chairperson.
- Circulates the agenda and all papers at least three working days before the meeting, usually by email.
- Receives and records any apologies from members.
- Types documents and letters as requested by the Chairperson.
- Contact for enquiries from the website.
2.6. Role of Treasurer:
- Oversees and present budgets, accounts and financial statements to the committee.
- Ensures that record-keeping and accounts are kept up to date.
- Present an annual financial report to the committee in July each year.
- Manages bank accounts including paying in monies.
- Sets up appropriate systems for book-keeping, payments & petty cash.
- Ensures that everyone handling money keeps proper records and documentation.
- In all of these areas the Treasurer is responsible for ensuring that effective financial systems and procedures have been established, are being consistently followed and are in line with best practice and legal requirements.
2.7 Role of the Student Representative:
In addition we have a student on the committee (this is not currently a representative role but helps ensure we have a student perspective).
- Effectively collates and communicates the views and voices of students within UK Medical and Health Education.
- Attends Committee Meetings and DIMAH discussions and contributes to the development of the organisation.
- Shares feedback with students about relevant discussions at DIMAH and informs students of actions taken by DIMAH in response to their feedback.
- Acts as a point of contact for students within Medical and Health Education on issues relevant to DIMAH.
2.8 Committee Members:
There are three committee members with specific roles which can be periodically reviewed as the organisation develops.
Currently one of the committee members has a specific role to oversee the website development.
All committee members have voting rights.